Sunday, April 30, 2017

The Crow: An Ad Hoc Parody

If you're reading this, it's too late...you were warned! But you still read on.

What lurks below is a poem I wrote in an attempt to lovingly parody a much better poem by Edgar Alan Poe, namely 'The Raven'. It isn't actually a parody, if you  use the exact definition, more of a changing up of the poem and its point for (hopefully) humorous results. 

So, if you're brave, and haven't eaten a large lunch, scroll on, on into the poem below, valiant reader! If you finish it, comment below with your thoughts, and if you parish bravely in the battle inside, we will erect a memorial page on the blog, and your next of kin can send in a stirring epitaph for all to see.

_______________________________________________________________________



Once upon a morning weary,
As I pondered, weak and bleary
Many an empty alcoholic bottle
There came a noisome sound of banging
Upon my window where were hanging
Curtains that I’d bought on sale in Gottle

The noise started my head a-thund’ring,
As if through it a giant blundering
Was wreaking havoc on my sodden brain
Before to bed I could escape
The noise from behind my window drape
Increased until I could not bear the pain

With cries and swearing ripe as kiwis,
Plucked from the Obscenest trees
I staggered over to the window slot
At speed I cracked the window pain,
So that I could ascertain
The person who had helped me rest, or not

Sitting there upon the sill,
The target for my rife bad will
Stared back at me from both sides of its beak
Black as well-tarred undergarments,
Feathers scruffy as a varmint’s
With baleful eyes at me the crow did peak

Askance I stared without a word,
Down at the small black feath’ry bird
And wondered how it could have knocked so loud
But before I could inquire,
It hopped past me, sat by the fire
And kicking aside some bottles, to me it bowed

Taking my seat by the embers,
Of the hearth which in Novembers
I had lit and huddled by in need
“Are you my imagination?
Or a drunken machination?”
Asked I, but the crow croaked to me, “No indeed.”

“Are you then a devilish demon?
Formed out of my sinful dreaming?
Maybe from one of the books I read?
Are you one, or perhaps both?
Of those evil things I quoth?”
But the crow made answer to me, “No indeed.”

Then it bent and pecked with gusto,
At an empty can of Musto
Then stared at me, eyes black as a bead
“Did you come because you think,
That I depend too much on drink?”
Wheezed I too which the crow answered “Indeed.”

“But alcohol helps you to mend,
And makes you many a stalwart friend!”
Jumped I to my own defense at speed
The crow looked ‘round the empty room,
The friend-free floor with bottles strewn
I could but nod as the crow croaked “Indeed.”

The bird was right although I hated,
That a black dishrag seemed to be fated
To break me of my long established need
“Could it be, oh black winged wonder,
That you can heal a bad hangover?”
But that strange crow made answer “No indeed.”

Yet still with its frank dreariness,
It had broken me out of my bleariness
And showed me what I’d made myself in greed
So, happily, I shook its wing,
And thanked the crow for everything
To hear just one single last “Indeed.”

And as it flew off with a drab wing’s flutter,
I did not close the window shutter
But watched until I saw the black bird go
I was very glad for its company,
But was happy it had not stayed with me
For all its helpful merits…not great conversation was the crow

No indeed.

1 comment:

  1. What a great spin on a classic. I admit that I'm not familiar with the original that inspired this piece. Off to educate myself now, so thank you two fold: for the chuckle and the boost to my poetry journey.

    ReplyDelete

A Very Fishy Endeavor