Thursday, April 26, 2018

Anniversary

The sun gone down into the dark,
The city glowing bright
I’ve been prepared for hours now,
For this important night
My shirt is ironed; pants un-creased,
As daylight bustle is decreased
I head towards our sight

En route I find necessity,
And make a single stop
A dozen roses paper wrapped,
From a convenient shop
My hands are shaking, not from fear,
As to the special place I near
Our quiet, dark hilltop

A place away from city lights,
And all distracting sound
Watched only by the stars above,
And swaying trees around
Warms breezes blow,
All things below,
This lover’s sacred ground

I reach the crest as midnight strikes,
On this important day
And reach the stone set in the grass,
That seemed so far away
I smile though my eyes are wet,
At memories I won’t forget,
Of what happened today

I wish her happiness as I,
Lay roses down below
The marble stone on which her life,
Is carven in a row
I sit with her a while there,
And in the darkness we both share,
Mem’ries of long ago

When all is done I rise again,
To leave her body here
But take with me something of her,
That always will be near
And as I leave the dawn light shows,
And like the dark that shrinks and goes,
My sadness disappears

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful poem! Really love the journey the speaker travels. The end is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the careful preparation that is made for this important event. Leaving the hustle and bustle behind as he moves towards a silence that he didn't ask for. Finding peace in this place at the end allows him to move forward and not alone after all to spend another year missing this very beloved soul.

    This is powerful and quite moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hannah, you're amazing at being able to sum up my poetry in just a few meaningful words.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a total fraud. You must have been watching me as I visited my mother's grave at Mount Zion. You must have been lurking behind the Dellinger monument, I suppose, when I placed the sunflowers there on the ground. How could you know how glad I was to have talked with her again?

    ReplyDelete

A Very Fishy Endeavor