Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Gone Like the Wind


You left me for a better place,
Where there can be no wrong
And I will never be the same
Again now that you’re gone

Gone like a snowfall in summertime,
Gone like a spark from a flame
Gone up a mountain I never can climb
Gone to a place free of pain

But pain imprisons me it won’t
Leave soon, it’s here to stay
Since happiness turned into grief,
When you flew far away

Gone like a bird that flew from its nest,
Gone into wide open sky
Gone like a tune you cannot recall
Gone though you strain and you try

You are and were my brightest light,
That filled my ev’ry part
Now light shares space with agony,
Within my heart of hearts

Gone like the mist of the morning at noon,
Gone like chain lightning in rain
Gone, plucked away from my arms far too soon,
Gone where you can’t come again

For one more minute with you close,
I’d pay whatever cost
To see again your shining face,
The treasure that I’ve lost

Gone like the leaves born away on the breeze,
Gone into mem’ry and heart
Gone like the wind in a hurricane’s eye
Gone and yet never apart

I know so long as I still love,
And grieve for you like this
Though you’re far off you’ll be with me
Far closer than a kiss

Close as the thoughts rushing ‘round in my head
Close as a bodily part
Close as the blood coursing strong through my veins
Close as the beat of my heart

It’s right you should stay in your place,
And have the joy you’ve earned
While I stay here and think of you,
And all the things I’ve learned

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Very Fishy Endeavor