Monday, March 5, 2018

The Well and the Ray


Sitting there, I don’t know where,
A place that’s purest black
Lying here tied up with fear
I can’t see front or back

The darkest place, an empty space
Bereft of sound or light
The walls are steep, too high to leap
A prison far from sight

The sides are sheer, and far too near
Around me like a cell
As if I’ve been trapped tight within
A shadow watered well

A hopeless fear, resides in here,
Built into this dark place
While black despair, has found its lair
Beneath my weeping face

My cage is built with stones of guilt,
Cemented by my crimes
The walls are strong, held up with wrongs
From all my darkest times

While wild shame, too fierce to tame,
Has built the walls too high
And heavy hate has sealed my fate
To keep me where I lie

My memories, like nocturne seeds,
Grow high up from the floor
And ev’ry leaf is sharp edged grief,
That cuts me to my core

Remembered wrongs are pricking prongs,
Whose poison holds me fast
A grief-struck tree that’s grown ‘round me
Here where no light is cast

My darkest fears, my bitt’rest tears,
Surround me like an ocean
All my worst sins, trap me within
The well of my emotions

As I lie there, I now know where
I gaze into the black
When suddenly, something, I see
Is gazing softly back

A single beam, of diamond gleam,
Far sweeter than a choir
It sheds bright light upon my plight,
Like sudden kindling fire

Through darkest hate and long lost faith,
This beam cuts like a knife
Warm sunlight fare, it warms my hair,
A gleam of far off life

I know not where its golden glare,
Comes to my self-made hell
If it’s of me, or something free,
Above this shadow well

A piece of soul, still somehow whole,
A waking, bright intrusion
Impossibly, it shines on me,
A ray of absolution

The grieving fronds, my poisoned bonds,
Unwind from ‘round my hands
And raising one, I feel the sun,
From far off, better lands

I grit my teeth; I gain my feet,
The dark still holds me tight
Through all this pain, I do not wane,
As I look to the light

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Very Fishy Endeavor