Saturday, March 17, 2018

The Box


The coffin black is born along
Through ranks of downturned heads
While all is silent through the crowd
No more words can be said

I watch through eyes that for so young,
Have seen so many tears
As they have watched her fall from sight,
The love of all my years

Somehow this box contains in it,
A world that was mine
A planet closed in wood and paint,
That will decay in time

With loving care beneath the grass,
My only love is laid
And I wait silently until,
The last respects are paid

Now all alone beside her grave,
I watch her resting place
And think again of her when I,
Could still caress her face

I always knew just one moment,
With her was time well spent
But I wish that I knew back then
Just how fast that time went

As I look down at her dark box,
I hold in one hand tight,
Another box of velvet black,
For when the time was right

But that time passed along with her,
And she will never see
The ring in it I would have used
To have her marry me

With no one there to see it done,
I leave within the hole
An unadorned, unopened box,
That holds my heart and soul

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Very Fishy Endeavor